POEMS: PRAYER FOR MUMMY

                                                                  PRAYER FOR MUMMY

                                                                        By Drake Omonode

HELLO FROM here, a place of sojourners of a common root with no same destination

Hello from here, a here filled with memories of you and I

Hello indeed from this side of the divide

Hello to a friend that seem to have left my hands so abruptly

Hello honey, when shall we lock fingers down the walkways again

Hello sweetheart when again, when again

When again shall we tell stories along bush paths in the cool of the evening

When again shall we sing along farm routs

When again shall we sit to plunder and feast on everything uncommonly delicious like crickets, bush rats (Rabbits), and fruits with no English names.

When again shall I sit on your laps and ferry long journeys

When again shall you enquire about my happiness

When again shall you tickle me just to see me smile and play

When again shall I see you coming down from the other end of the road

Hello, from this other side, I may have an M.sc but I have suddenly lost my sense of counting, as days and years seem no longer distinct when I think of you.

I was the first to always know your whereabouts but you have been gone for 19years now, still I don’t know where you went to.

When again shall you meditate, pray and walk with me

When again shall I feel the warmth of your arms

You left me without a notice and it has left me a man since I was 7, zero emotions and anything of its likelihood.

Daddy talks about you sometimes but I wish God keeps him long enough to let us decide when he should leave. Please pray to the Angels to keep him for me and to God that He remains strong. I wouldn’t want him to leave without a notice like you did

Mummy rest on, not because I have been able to do without you, but because God has found it worthy to keep and prosper me.

 

Rest on my Childhood Soldier

Rest on my First True Love

Rest my Heartthrob

Rest on Mummy


Comments