Poetry: Mother, Nigeria


Mother Nigeria 


Mother, Mother !
I am crying now
Crying for the gullets slewn
I can hear wailings
Wailings from a distance
A distance with a destination known as Death.
Death, Yes Death
Not from Malaria, Neither  from Typhoid.
But rather less relevant headaches
Yes Meaningless headaches, such as tribalism, ethnicity and religion.
Mother Mother
I am Crying already
And I have no one to wipe my tears
My brothers and Sisters whom ought to console me,
Now force me to pick a side
Pick a side in their tribal wars
Pick a side in their religious wars
Pick a side in the Electoral balkanisation
In school they call me by my name
But when I grow up, my name will become Urhobo man 

and my my friends will now be called Igbo man, Yoruba man or Hausa man
Mother I am confused
But my tears have been refused
My Friend, Adewole, Emeka and Ibrahim
Pls come let us reason
Reason not because we have stopped being Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa.
Reason not because we no longer quarrel
But rather,
Let us reason for our mother's sake
Mother is bleeding
Mother is dying
Mother is desolate
Mother is now an enemy to her mates.
Mother has become one in a circus to provoke laughter and scorn.
Mother is being ridiculed wherever she goes
Mother has twice been a victim of Xenophobic attacks from our cousins.
And we her children are the cause.
Awón Òlamide, Nwanèm Èmeka and Abdul Aziz,
Come Let us reason, Come let us Join hands to heal our Mother, Nigeria.

Drake Omonode
*A Poem for National peace*

Comments