Poetry: A letter to Christmas

 HELLO CHRISTMAS

IT IS ME ONCE AGAIN

Though my smiles seem to now slope as the years gravitate

Though my arms no longer wave in cheer but now fold in sad akimbo

And Though my countenance no more leaps at you but now sits in a limbo

Plead I you to stay awhile with me

Tilt your ears so I could whisper my sermons of woes and throes

Beckon I to you that you grant me silence, solitude and quietude

Sit, let me sing the songs and chants of a certain toll gate at the middle of Blood-lake Lekki

Lend me your ears awhile, let me reminisce tales of a mad yesterday

Beckon you me for a jiffy to express my sad-joys of an epoch of resilience by lazy youths.

Resilience against wickedness, high-handedness and seeming witch-craftry of ex-criminals-turn uniform men

Resilience against anti-humans and against Aliens from Planet SARS

I pray thee to blow through my clime with a special seasons wind

Blow and huff into the skies the remnant vestiges of pain, agony, oppression and suppression evident in my village

Let the jingles soothe the hearts of those left behind by those whose lives were whistled away by live-cartridges and shells at Lekki tollgate  

Blow! Blow! Please Blow! Blow out the lights of those that have quenched the lights of my ancestors, and have sworn to quench mine

Puff and huff away those who hoarded life-packs (palliatives) till spoilage, whilst many died of hunger and starvation

May your seasons be judgment for those who enlisted their arms in bagging away of lifeless human carcasses at Blood-Lake Lekki

Indeed may your seasons console my battered countenance and return normalcy to the patriotic palpitations of my heart

Since my milk-teeth (days) I have enjoyed the collection of gifts of different types but all I want this time is the gift of Joy, Happiness, Freedom and true-independence

Independence from inconsistencies, Independence from the clutches of enslavement,

Independence from the very ideological chains that have fastened my lots to the ground

Indeed I wish not for plastics, cakes, rice grains, meat, drinks and everything fleshy

I love my rice without grains of sands like bullets

I enjoy gifts better in the midst of joy and gladness and not in the midst of whistling bullets

My garments adorn me better when the air is clear and not filled with the dust of upheavals

I pray thee to take along with you these moments of deceit and betrayal of trust, so I can jingle the bells all the way to a moment called “Never again”


Seasons greetings My friend

Seasons greetings fellow victims

Seasons greetings Jailer and Oppressor



Drake Omonode

Comments